a song and a feeling

I was at the gym this morning doing my thing, listening to my music and trying desperately to look stronger than I am, when a song came on my iPod that struck a chord with me.

The song was “Makes Me Wonder” by Maroon 5.

I can see the looks now.

Yeah, I have a fucking Maroon 5 song on my iPod.

Yeah, I know how shitty they are, but I don’t care, when that song comes on I start rocking out.

The other thing that happens when this song comes on is that it makes me feel extremely white.

Now, I’m a white dude, so I feel white all the time – but something about this song just makes me really feel it.

From the moment that the guitars hit that catchy riff, I get this sudden urge to go buy some khakis, discuss the many aspects of global warming, and read the latest issue of The New Yorker.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Is it even okay to be writing about this?

And when is the next time those guys go on tour?

I’m so there.

Advertisements

20 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

20 responses to “a song and a feeling

  1. I know what you mean.

    There is a British band similar to these guys called Toploader. They’re frickin annoying. I can’t stand them.
    But There was one time when I went back to some house party and was doing some DIY DJing (with hactual decks and vinyls)
    One song that I stuck on with out knowing was a a dance remix version of Toplaoders most popular song. For a moment I thought it was quite good.
    But despite my power trip of being “The DJ,” pleasing the crowd and being more then slightly drunk I still had to remove the offending record.

  2. tiff

    that song makes me feel like a white dude too. But so does everything on this site.

  3. Nonononononononon…FOR GODS SAKE MAN….NO!!!!

    Put the Maroon5 down and back away slowly.

    If you MUST listen to white dude rock, try Ben Kweller.

    You’re welcome.

  4. Hmm, Maroon 5 has never made me feel like a white guy.

    But they have made me throw up in my mouth a little.

  5. hahah Maroon 5 makes me feel white too. Have you seen the site Tiff posted? Comedic gold.

  6. robbie – I understand completely. It’s hard avoiding the lure of crappy pop songs.

    tiff – hahaha! That site is awesome, thanks for the link.

    kiala – I know, I know, I’m trying. But their slightly-irreverent brand of pop rock keeps pulling me back in. It’s terrible.

    I will give Kweller a try. Until then, god help me.

    hollywood – hahaha damn, i had no idea how many people hated Maroon 5. It is very embarrassing to admit I have this song, I usually make sure no one can see the screen on my iPod when it’s playing.

    jamie – just looked at it, and like you said, it is fucking awesome.

  7. I have an unhealthy not-so-secret obsession with the lead singer of Maroon 5. I have no idea why. I just thought I’d share that. Resist the urge to go buy khakis. Resist!

  8. jenn – because he’s so dreamy!

  9. FRM

    whispering… I have Maroon 5 Sweetest Goodbye on my MP3 player too… *shhh*

  10. I had a moment like that at the gym a couple weeks ago. I was listening to “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne.

  11. frm – we are bad, bad people.

    todd – Noooooooo!!!!

  12. ashley

    oh yes…and I’ll be right there with you.

    🙂

  13. I simply loved the site Tiff sent you! I am DYING over here.

  14. i am obsessed with SWPL. HILARIOUS.

    i am not really a maroon 5 fan, but my black roommate is. i don’t know what that means.

  15. ashley – no, I can’t do it. I’ve got to stop myself before it’s too late.

    hollywood – I know, it is a great blog.

    erin – it means that you need to reach out, and help your hurting roommate. He/she is in need of something – anything – to help with this problem.

  16. callmekp

    Could be worse. You could have been listening to “Plain White T’s”.

    So, 1… 2… blessings… 3… 4…

  17. callmekp – yes, that’s true.

  18. “trying desperately to look stronger than I am”
    Best line ever… 😀

  19. prin – thanks! This is how about 99% of men act at the gym. The remaining 1% is for those old dudes who just kinda freak everyone out.

  20. Pingback: putting myself out there « surviving myself

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s